Sunday 28 January 2007

iSCSI Security Part 2

To tie down my iSCSI test environment I've implemented IPsec between client and server. This allows me to encrypt either the traffic or headers of my IP stream. I chose ESP (Encapsulating Security Payload) as this gives full confidentiality to my data, rather than Authentication Header (AH) which provides integrity as to the source of the data.

Implementation on my Netapp Simulator and Windows client was easy; the ipsec command, a file setting on the filer and configuration of the IPsec settings through MMC on Windows. Once I'd dropped and relogged in the iSCSI targets, I did some testing.

Now before I go further, let me stress that this testing was only slightly scientific. Everything I'm using is virtual and on the same physical machine with one hard disk. The figures I'm quoting are indicative of the performance I received and not directly comparable with real-world systems, although you'll get the idea.

So I tested with HDTach and no IPsec enabled. Response time for a standard test was about 0.2ms and throughput ranged from 2-32MB/s over the course of the test (an average of around 17MB/s). With IPsec enabled, response time doubled to 0.4ms and throughput dropped significantly to 2-7MB/s with an average of 4.2MB/s. I repeated the tests a number of times with IPsec on and off and saw consistent results.

Just to be sure, I checked for other bottlenecks in my system. The virtualising PC was not bottlenecked, neither the filer or client. I can therefore put the performance change down to simply "more work to do".

Unsurprisingly, I couldn't check the IP packets with IPsec enabled. Although this is secure, it presents issues when diagnosing problems. I don't know whether tools exist to enable encrypted streams to be analysed, but Ethereal couldn't do it. My IPsec implementation was also rather simple - just a shared key for encrypting the traffic. If I was implementing this for real, I'd be discussing with the Network guys the best way to implement security.

No comments: