Sunday 18 January 2009

Personal Computing: MacBook Day 2

So, second day with my MacBook and I've started to look at application transparency between Mac and Windows.


On a positive note, I managed to get DropBox working (easily) and MindManager for Mac - all my mind maps are directly compatible.  I didn't expect I would have a problem but it's good to see compatibilty sensibly implemented.

For major Office documents, I'm looking at OpenOffice or MS Office for Mac (however I don't like the idea of paying for the same product on multiple platforms.  

If I can get consistency in my standard data formats, then I can see me being more confident about using cloud applications to store data.  That's a good thing as I'm trialling a number of products and would want to see the platform become irrelevant as long as the applications are good.  The only issue with that is having a continual reliance on an Internet connection; but that's achievable anyway.  

So far, products I've got happily working cross-platform;

  • DropBox
  • NetNewsWire/FeedDemon
  • MindManager
  • TweetDeck
  • Exchange Email
Next challenges will be the Office installation, address and calendar (and decent synchronisation) and my favourite challenge, P2V'ing my "work" laptop (i.e. a machine I have to use to access a corporate network I use).  If I can virtualise that machine and transport it around, I may be able to bin my Windows laptop entirely.

No comments: