Tuesday 11 September 2007

USP-VM

Hitachi has announced (10th September) the availability of a new storage array, the USP-VM. At first glance this appears to be the USP-V equivalent of the NSC55 as it has very similar characteristics in terms of cache cards, FEPs etc. Unfortunately HDS have provided links to specification pages not all of which include the USP-VM references. Bit sloppy that.

I've previously deployed a number of NSC55's and within 6 months wondered whether they were the right decision. They weren't as scalable as I needed and there were a few features (such as BED ports and FED ports sharing the same interface card) which were a bit of a concern (imagine losing a FEP and having to take 1/2 of all your BE paths offline to fix the problem). I'm always reminded of the DMX1000/2000/3000 range when I think of the NSC model as these EMC arrays weren't expandable and of course a DMX1000 quickly filled up....

Hu describes the USP-VM as "Enterprise Modular" in his blog entry. This may be a bit generous as (a) I doubt the USP-VM will be priced as low as modular storage and (b) I don't think it will support the whole range of disks available in a modular array. I say "think" as the link to the capacity page for the USP products doesn't yet include the USP-VM.....

2 comments:

BarryWhyte said...

Chris, there are a couple of links on my blog entry that provide a bit more detail about speeds and feeds. Not to mention my bug bear about their impossible attachment claims.

$60K for a disk-less box without license certainly isn't cheap, when compare with SVC for example - which of course does the same thing for a lot less - without the limits on external storage.

Chris M Evans said...

Barry, yes, agreed and I like the speeds and feeds calcualations you've done. That got me thinking about the USP architecture and exactly how the external storage can be presented. I must dig my manuals out and check something...